Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 11:41:10PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Josip> Why do we have to be a part of an industry? Debian would be
>  Josip> commercial if we truely cared about the industry...
>
>         It is a quality of imlementation issue. If we are seriously
>  outmoded, we can't honestly say we are trying to be the best
>  distribution out there. Best means we at least try not to be several
>  years behind other people.

I'm not against trying to be the best, but against the reasoning *why* do we
have to be the best. We shouldn't be influenced by the industry too much.

>  >> because slink is so far behind that it isn't usefull anymore.
>  Josip> It's useful enough for a lot of people.
>
>         So is miscrosoft.

Microsoft products are for different people than ours are, IMHO.

>         Debian has a stated goal of trying to achieve technical
>  excellence. Obsolescence is a factor.

Slink is called `stable' for a reason. It's not obsolete for people who
just want a stable distribution.

Of course, it is obsolete for people who want a nice GNOME (or especially
KDE) environment, or those who own Athlons or other hardware the kernel
provides, etc, etc.

It seems that the number of those to whom slink is useful outweighs the
number of those to whom it isn't.

>  Josip> A lot of people (including me) run kernel 2.2 on slink
>  Josip> machines just fine.
>
>         And the point is?

You can upgrade your kernel to 2.2 with little or no problems on slink
machines. Really, that kernel just isn't the default, but it is otherwise
fine.

Once again, let's get back to fixing potato, and leave the chatter for
appropriate lists or IRC...

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name