Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Dave said:

> The solution to this is that we ignore woody for the moment, and begin an all
> out effort to get the 2.4 kernel, XF4.0, and Apache 2.0 into Debian as STABLE.
> The work for these things can also incorporate the work needed to re-add the
> packages that were removed because of bugs.  I know people LOVE to work on
> "unstable", and I don't recomend we delay potato's release, so this is the
> alternative.  We release potato when it's ready, then prepare a point release
> for the major packages.  Call the maintenance release potato mk 2 or something.

There's a grain of truth in this idea.  IMHO all efforts should be
concentrated on making Potato the stable dist asap, but without attempting to
add new features.  Then we can freeze Woody in about three months and have a
new stable shortly after that.  I believe that short-sightedness and
overeagerness for new features is what has caused the delays for the potato
release.

A reasonable release cycle will allow Debian to become "up to date".

Attempting to add new versions now will just delay Potato further.

IMHO, of course.

-ptw