Re: So, what's up with the XFree86 4.0 .debs?

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 02:22:10AM +0000, Edward Betts wrote:
> I thought the plan was to drop support for ISA VGA cards in 4.x, so people
> who want to keep using old hardware HAVE to stick with 3.3.x

If so, that's news to me and I've been following the XFree86 developers'
list for months.  Support for the ISA bus is not being dropped.  Whether
the legacy hardware is supported depends on if anybody ports the old 3.3.x
drivers to the new server model or not.

> I am not actually suggesting that you try and maintain both. It would make the
> upgrade path easier if everything had a 4 in it, so that people stay with
> 3.3.x and do not move until they decide they want the new version. I mean how
> do you plan to handle the fact that the config file format has changed? Does
> anybody have a converter?

I don't know yet, and I don't think so.

> On the other hand, I suppose it is probably useful to force people to upgrade
> to the new version. The old version will probably not be maintained upstream.

Last I heard, the 3.3.x tree was going to be maintained concurrently with
4.x for approximately a year.  Most of the developer enthusiasm seems to be
with 4.x, though, and this will probably only strengthen with its release.
XFree86 is a volunteer project, too, and has the same problems with herding
cats.

> You are going to keep /usr/X11R6 for this release right? I guess that the
> XFree86 people might get a bit irritated if you tried to drop it.

Actually, I've evilly been toying with the idea of #defining ProjectRoot to
/usr for 4.0.  Upstream has already moved almost entirely to the way Debian
currently does things as far as filesystem layout goes.

> (No, I am not using an ISA VGA card. No, I do not know anybody who is using
> one. But, I did use X 3.3.x on a EGA card for a while, I see that xega is not
> even in the archive now.)

I still have an old DOS game called EGATREK lying around someplace.  I sure
would like to play it again sometime.  I wonder if dosemu can give you ega
graphics in an X window? :)

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Human beings rarely imagine a god that
Debian GNU/Linux               |    behaves any better than a spoiled child.