(Re)build a Debian package

Dear all,

I run Debian 2.1r4 on a PC with an amd486 120 MHz and 16Mb of ram.

I also recompile last release of Ckermit. To manage installed software, I
would like make a package with this soft.
I found also package sources (.dsc, orig.tar.gz and diff.gz files) of a
previous release (It is always easiest to learn new material with a good
example) and put it in "/mydir".
In this directory I do: dpkg-source ckermit....dsc and work fine by creating
the directory "/mydir/ckermit-193".
In this last directory I try to launch dpkg --build ... which failled
because it did not find DEBIAN/control file (which stand in debian/control)
(a symbolic link DEBIAN -> debian did not help because this time a parsing
error on Depends: ${shlibs:DEPENDS}).
What do I forgot to do?
I download and study all packaging documentation (also Debian policy) and
try to find a FAQ but nothing to clarify my mind as a case study procedure
for instance. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance for your help.
	Joel

PS: Ckermit is just a case study, I would really like to learn to manage
Debian packages as well as I use to do professionally.