Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Do you remember GNOME 0.30?  I do because it was in stable after 1.0 was
released.  What would YOU call the more stable version?  Just because something
makes it into stable doesn't mean it's really a fully stable package.  And just
because something is NEWER doesn't mean it's not stable, or even "bleeding
edge".  Now, running unstable is the bleeding edge, and probably everyone on
devel has done a fair ammount of bleeding because of it.  It's what we accept.
But, the general trend on software updates is that, major version changes aside,
they FIX problems and make using that package easier.  People who call for the
release version when all that was previously in stable was an alpha or beta
version arn't asking for bleeding edge stuff.  The call for shorter development
cycles will fix this problem, but until Woody is frozen(which we can HOPE will
be only another 3-4 months after Potato is released), people will be looking for
XF86 4.0, possibly Kernel 2.4(full, not pre-release), and so on.  If Debian does
a stable release each time a major package comes out, sure, we will end up with
releases very quickly, but to prepare a new release will also be EASIER, since
not every single package will change between releases.

							Dave Bristel