Re: Less interactive upgrades.

On 16 Mar 2000 16:06:34 -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> I've had the same thought, but not enough time to begin such a project.
> I wonder if there would be some way to integrate this with the existing
> debconf system -- if it uses the same interface, etc., end-users will be
> much happier.

I plan to make the user interface modular, and coming out with a few
of them. My current thinking is that this program (which I should
probably name sometime soon) should have:

- A "Traditional" interface, which would mimic the way dpkg does it,
  but at the start of config rather than throughout.
- An interface that lists files, one per line, and lets the user pick
  on the command line. (Perhaps it will use readline.)
- A full-screen interface. Perhaps it will use dialog, but I need to
  figure out how well that lets me bind operations to keys. I may end
  up having to roll my own thing. (Ick.)

Debconf integration doesn't seem all that likely, as the two are
fairly orthagonal. (In the Debian world, configuration and
configuration files seem to be rather distinct things.) However, I
think I can make the look fairly seamless. (Getting it working is what
I'll try first, however.)

One other question: Does anyone think having a "never ask about this
config file again" option is a good thing? I'm torn.

--
Tom Rothamel --------- http://onegeek.org/~tom/ ------- Using GNU/Linux
	    Writing from home, just outside Northport, NY.