Re: Novell: NDS eDirectory for Linux

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 09:59:49AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Lauri Tischler wrote:
>
> > Load NLDAP.NLM on one of your Netware servers.
> > I did just that and wrote some WEB-applications with php3 to get phone and
> > mailinggrop information from NDS.
> Please excuse my ignorance about LDAP.  I really don't know how it works
> and how can I profit from it.
>
> My intention is to enable normal Novell users access to linux boxes
> without triggering my /etc/passwd with the Novell user accounts.  I
> hope that there is any simple possibility for Netware users to get
> a login on some (one to three) Linux boxes with their Novell password
> and home directory on the NCPFS mounted Novell volume.  This would
> save my time to install NIS and adding and removing users on my
> Linux boxes.
>
> May be I'm dreaming of something which is not possible, yet.
>
> Kind regards
>
>            Andreas.

Well, i know that you can get usernames/passwords through ldap using a pam
module .. libpam-ldap probably.  So if you can get the users names and
passwords over this ldap interface then it should be completely possible

As for the file mounting, i'm not sure ... i know there is stuff in the
kernel for it, but i've never used it (and like samba it probably needs
some help from userland applications).

Erik Bernhardson
journey@jps.net
--
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt.