Re: of bash and ...sbin/

Gak!  I'd like to unask the question (and I do promise to have myself
flogged soon) except for Jacob's sub-topic:

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 11:52:37AM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> at the risk of reigniting a flame war, how is traceroute in a different
> catagory that ping?

That, I think, is a good question, and hopefully has an equally good
answer.  I suspect we'll point to Upstream, tho.

Tho I know it doesn't mean a whole lot, really, the FHS notes that...

# Deciding what things go in sbin directories is simple: If a user will
# need to run it, then it should go somewhere else. If it will only be run
# by system administrators or as root from system management scripts, then
# it should go in /sbin (or in /usr/sbin or /usr/local/sbin if the item is
# not vital to system operation).

and ping, traceroute, and lpc aren't for administration of _this_ system
(unless you count the print queue, in in which case, "/usr/bin/mailq, eh?")
but it is for troubleshooting of the outside network or other machines.

OTOH, i would leave ifconfig in /sbin, as it _is_ about this system, and
it doesn't provide (much) information that DNS doesn't, unless there's
sysadminning to be done.  (There's also a huge amount of inertia that it
be in /sbin/ .)

!!!! (Don't reply without including the below, to help kill this thread!)
NOW, having said all of that, the "Inertia says leave it be!" argument is
_very_ compelling, at least for the near term.  For woody (or woody+1),
moving is likely a Good thing.  That's far off, though.  Potato must ship.
!!!!

So, sorry to have brought it up, and IAN-even-ADD.  I will file no bug
reports, until $release+2 .

						- chad