Re: of bash and ...sbin/

On 22-Mar-00, 15:59 (CST), Jacob Kuntz <jake@megabite.net> wrote:
> i think this tread started with someone wanting the sbin directories in the
> normal user's path by default. i see your point that moving those binaries
> would break a lot of scripts. i don't think appending to the default path
> would break anything. anyone have a problem with that?

We discussed (and argued and flamed and ...) that to death. The
objection is mostly due to potential confusion (there are a lot more
potential targets for command completion, and most of them are *not*
what the user is looking for) and inertia, and the expectation that a
user who finds value in use of traceroute or ifconfig or whatever is
also a user who is capable of modifying their path.

sg

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read