Re: glibc-compat

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  Is it possible to run stuff that is linked against glibc-2.0.7 (rh5.2 used
> that, so I imagine a lot of commercial stuff linked against that, or at
> least people have old commercial stuff linked against it and would rather
> not pay for a new version.)
>
>  Can you LD_PRELOAD (an old) libc?  (with a wrapper script to set LD_PRELOAD.)
>
>  Is there a way to do it at all without using chroot or hacking ld.so for
> special cases?  Obviously it is possible, but is it possible practically and
> usefully?

Hi all,

I'd like to know this as well!  Yes, I know, the correct thing to do is to
ask politely the vendor to re-compile under glibc2.1, and I plan to do
that.  But at the same time I'd like to know if there's a quick fix for
this.

I originated this whole thread in debian-user;  the app that does not work
for me is the F compiler from Imagine1 (www.uni-comp.com/imagine1).  It's
a free (as in beer) commercial compiler, which has been recently made
available in its full version.  The errors appear in the linking stage, it
seems the run-time library (libf90.a) needs glibc2.0.  People with
glibc2.1 under RedHat or Suse can run it successfully by installing
compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1.i386.rpm, and then using
-L/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib on the compile command line.

TIA,

Jose