Re: RBL report..

Steve Robbins <steve@nyongwa.montreal.qc.ca> writes:

> This is misleading.  What ORBS does is *test* mail servers to ensure that
> it *is* an open relay, before adding the relay's address to the list.
>
> They do NOT (according to the web page) "scan the net" for open relays.
> Rather, the list is generated solely from reports (via web or email) from
> folks that have been spammed.

While looking into the fact of the matter (which appears to be
correct), I found this idea on the orbs web-page:

} Admins may alternatively set their systems up to tag messages
} delivered from open servers as "possibly spam", or just log the
} connections. What any admin does is entirely up to that admin. If
} you've been blocked from delivering mail and given a pointer to this
} site please note: It is the decision of the administrator of the site
} which blocked you to disallow mail from open relays. Those open relays
} must comply with that admin's rules (not ours) in order to deliver
} mail to that site - we're just verifying to the admin whether a host
} is an open relay or not.

Would it be possible to insert an X-Header on email that looks
`suspiscious'?  That way no-one has to be cut out of sending mail
to the debian lists, and those who want to can score down, killfile or
whatever to their heart's content.

jason
--
____