Re: RBL report..

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 04:41:15PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > debian developers should have the option of a uucp account from one
> > of the debian servers (trivially easy for us to set up).
>
> I think we have been over this in various forms, I don't think we can
> do it without some complications,

the hardest complication would be coming up with a policy for reasonable
use...i.e. defining the rules under which the privilege is available.

> it would be inapproriate use of sponsored machines/bandwidth..

why is that? we already have debian developers whose primary email
address is @debian.org, and (IIRC) other developers who routinely use
smtp over ssh to debian servers to send their mail.

> It would be better for someone else to provide a service like this.

perhaps so. i think it would probably be a good idea for debian to
provide the service, but i'm not going to insist on it.

i don't see any problem with debian providing the service for debian
developers - at least to enable them to post to debian lists no matter
where they are dialed in to, if not as a general purpose service.

log files are easily summarised, so it would be possible to send a
"cease and desist" message to anyone who abused the privilege (i.e. by
sending hundreds of megabytes of mail per day or mail-bombed someone
through the uucp service)

craig

--
craig sanders