Re: Reducing downtime on system critical services

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:38:07AM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > now that you mention it, that would be the best solution. (and is)
> > i just never thought of that. but this proves the point of community
> > developing something, it brings out choices that usually are
> > overlooked.
>
> The only problem with this approach is in cases where the running
> program makes use of the file you want to change.  In that case,
> you may screw things up by swapping a configuration file out from
> underneath the program if it's still running.

Yeah, and those programs should special case themselves (and policy should
allow it).

I think those types are rare and few between though (usually if the
program monitors the config file state actively, the changes should not be
so that it would cause problems). Arguably, such programs are broken to
start with. I don't think I would want anything that immeiately recognized
my config file changes without telling it to (with a simple SIGHUP, like
inetd and such do).

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '