Re: Reducing downtime on system critical services

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 01:59:35PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
> > Actually the best way to do this is for the packages to not stop the
> > daemon in the preinst, and restart it in the postinst. This causes
> > the problem. If you look at apache and openldapd (the two that I know that
> > work right), you will notice that in the postinst (after upgrade) the
> > daemons are restarted. That is the Right Way, IMO, and should be proposed
> > on -policy.
>
> As far as I know, policy doesn't discuss this issue at all currently, which
> leaves it open to the maintainer to do what they think best.

I believe the packaging manual covers daemons, saying that they should be
stopped in the preinst, and started again in the postinst. At the very
least it suggests such a thing (from memory).

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '