RC-bugs, horizons and all that...

Hello all,

Let me first say that I am slightly frustrated with the Debian project's
progress.  It's the release cycles, again, that I am talking about.  It
really drives you insane if you want to use Debian in a production
environment.

Rather than citing all the problems we are soon going to have (outdated
kernel, X, apache,...) let me try to suggest a possible solution.  I have
heard people suggest *really* unstable distributions and all that.  I am
not going to elaborate on these ideas.

The problem arises because bugs which are considered release-critical
in important packages get shifted towards the end of the release-cycle and
even beyond it because some developers think their package is so important
it won't be removed anyways.

The suggestion is therefore for a future release manager to actually
remove *any* package that has had a release-critical bug for more than
three months, even if that package is called glibc.  No, I am not talking
about the frozen dist but about the unstable dist.  This way we also
encourage NMUs from people who get into dependency problems and such.

Regards
     -rbk.
--
Richard Kreckel