Re: first draft "aptitude howto"

On 04-Apr-00, 01:03 (CDT), Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:
> Note that this only really applies to hold/install new/remove - 'dpkg
> --get-selections' will be correct for things installed/removed but won't
> show much in the way of intent.

Why not? It can represent those now, and the state of the packages is in
the status file.

I'm not saying we should limit the new frontends to the capabilities of
dselect, but that if the status db needs new entries, they need to be
integrated at the base dpkg level, not on a per-frontend basis.

Hmm, maybe I'm confused, or being confusing: let me try to be explicit:
Please don't *duplicate* information, unless you're willing to keep the
duplicates consistent. Dpkg/dselect currently store statuses such as
"want to install", "installed", "installed but needing configuration",
"on hold", "removed but not purged", "purged/uninstalled", etc. If the
new front end changes any of those statuses, it needs to do it a way
that dpkg/dselect will notice and deal with. Anything else makes it
pretty much impossible to evaluate new frontends.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read