ITP: cfitsio - FITS I/O library

 FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) is a data format most used in
 astronomy. cfitsio is a library of ANSI C routines for reading and
 writing FITS format data files.  A set of Fortran-callable wrapper
 routines are also included for the convenience of Fortran
 programmers.

Packages: cfitsio2 (runtime), cfitsio-dev (development+docs), cfitsio-bin
(util and example binaries)

License: Free, as far as I can tell. Here is the extract from the
source files:

<quote>
The FITSIO software was written by William Pence at the High Energy
Astrophysic Science Archive Research Center (HEASARC) at the NASA
Goddard Space Flight Center.  Users shall not, without prior written
permission of the U.S. Government, establish a claim to statutory
copyright.  The Government and others acting on its behalf, shall have
a royalty-free, non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide license for
Government purposes to publish, distribute, translate, copy, exhibit,
and perform such material.
</quote>

The "government purposes" clause bothers me a bit. Would this fall
under the purview of "fields of endeavour" in the DFSG?

After uploading cfitsio, I will try packaging FTOOLS as well (FITS
Tools, a suite based on cfitsio for manipulating FITS images).

Cheers,
Gopal.

Gopal Narayanan                          Ph #: (413) 545 0925
Five College Radio Astronomy Observatory Fax#: (413) 545 4223
University of Massachusetts              e-mail: gopal@astro.umass.edu
Amherst MA 01003