weird behaviour after upgrading to slink

Hi!

Two days ago I upgraded a notebook from hamm to slink. Hamm had been
running for more than a year without problems. After the upgrade the
computer went nuts. It was raining GPFs and worse things such as
remounting "/" as read-only and writing into the video memory. It turned
out that the crash starts when the pcmcia cardservices are started. Two
friends of mine (both experienced Linux users and admins) couldn't find
any reason for this crashes. I also recompiled the kernel and the pcmcia
modules. No way. The two gave up then and went home. In an last desperate
attempt I reinstalled hamm and it worked again. What is so "bad" with
slink?

Christoph

--
* Christoph Baumann                                          *
* cbauman1@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de                          *