Re: i386->powerpc cross compiler

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Brendan J Simon wrote:

> I've been thinking about this just recently.
> We are developing an embedded product using the mpc860 and maybe a mpc8260.
> There is the HardHat Linux distribution which is based on RPMs but I think you
> have to buy a maintenance contract at US$5000 per developer per project.
> I was thinking about making a Debian distribution for embedded powerpc
> processors.  I don't know where to start but I figured that all the sources
> would be the same as the powerpc workstations, just the compile flags need to be
> changed (ie. -mcpu=860, -fsoft-float, etc).
> I was thinking about native powerpc builds and i386 cross-builds.
> Does this sound feasible ?

After you have a working cross-compiler, your next step should be to
install an autobuilder. However, many packages use configure scripts. For
them to use a different compiler all that is necessary is to set
CC=cross-gcc and the package will be produced for the correct
architecture. I know it works because I have used it many times. The
problem is the packages which are more hardcoded (no standard makefiles,
etc.). But in the end you end up creating a new distro. Wrt this matter,
I thought the kernel provided some sort of compatibility between
PPC60x/7xx <-> MPC860 chips?

Konstantinos Margaritis