Re: How to "mkdosfs" in Debian

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 10:22:13AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> "Jerry Zhou" <jzhou@acdcorp.com> wrote:
> >I found "mkdosfs" command Turbolinux /sbin. I can not find it in Debian. I
> >try " dpkg -S mkdosfs" can not find it also.
>
> Your main question has been answered, but it's also worth noting that
> 'dpkg -S' only searches *installed* packages.
>
> You might be better off asking these questions on a list like
> debian-user@lists.debian.org.

Yes, Colin's right, your questions should be on -user.

As a further pointer, though, while you're still 'finding your way'
about debian, it's worth having a copy of the 'Contents-i386.gz' file
handy [it will be on your CD, or on your local mirror in the
dists/potato directory].  Then you can rapidly find out which
[possibly not yet installed] package contains a file by

zgrep mkdosfs Contents-i386.gz

[for example]

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable