Re: install from a pile of floppies?

Hello again,

On 11 Apr 2000, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> FWIW, I was rather annoyed at that section of the install manual when
> I read it, as it's kind of pointless if you don't have a Debian system
> (there's no dpkg-split on AIX ;)

That was exactly the way, I felt about the install manual. As I already
mentioned in my last mail on this thread, I did the export/import of the
packages with the tar utility, because I saw at this time no other way of
getting the whole bunch of big packages to my computer.

> I might try to rewrite dpkg-split in Perl4

That's a very good idea, would be nice, if it would be included as a tool
in the distribution (But not as a .deb package, because on most
"stupid" ;-) commercial Unixes there is no tool to extract .debs, and this
would require root privileges either).
I also think it would be good to include a section in the install manual
about alternative ways to get big packages from one to another computer
using floppies.

Regards,
Daniel