Re: Strange ping bahaviour

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 04:34:22PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > In other words, ping no longer sends out icmp type 8 but icmp type 0. AFAIK
> > ECHO_REQUEST is 8, isn't it?
>
> ECHO_REQUEST is 8, but ECHO_RESPONSE is 0. You need both for a ping to get
> a response.

Of course. Please forget my mail. I should have gotten some sleep before
trying to figure out my problem. My test case was completely off mark.

I was having a problem on a machine with spf. Of course spf creates an input
rule for ECHO_RESPONSE as soon as it sees ECHO_REQUEST going out. This of
course does not work with ipchains alone.

Michael

Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!