Re: kernel-package or kernel-source needs libncurses-devel

On 14-Apr-00, 13:54 (CDT), Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 01:08:26PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Dselect's overly aggressive handling of Recommends is already painful.
>
> Just because one tool is broken it doesn't mean others shouldn't implement
> it correctly.

Absolutely. Adding the same aggression to apt-get is not "Correct".

> > Apt-get should just grab the "depends" level dependencies. If you want
> > "recommends" and "suggests" dependencies recognized, use a higher level
> > tool (e.g. dselect, console-apt, aptitude).
>
> How high does that level have to be to be able to fetch a recommended
> package? apt-get (and related) already does everything one would ever want
> to do with packages, it just doesn't have a GUI but a CLI.

No, it doesn't -- it doesn't help with recommends and suggests; it
doesn't manage auto-uninstalls of packages that were installed only as
a result of meeting dependencies, etc., etc., etc. It's a command line
tool to retrieve and correctly install packages, ensuring that their
dependencies are met.

The problem with adding autoinstall of recommends (or even an offer)
is that it is used as a tool by dselect et. al. Presumably, when I use
one of those tools, I've already chosen whether or not to install the
recommends and suggests. I do not want to be asked again, or have my
choices overriden.

> A configuration option for auto-getting recommended packages (in apt.conf)
> would suffice for now, I think.

It needs to be command line option, so that other tools can easily
deactivate it. The default should be determined by variable in apt.conf,
and should default off if apt.conf doesn't specify.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read