Re: XF4 in woody

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Peter Novodvorsky wrote:
>
> > Hello, good people!
> >
> > Are there any reasons for XFree4.0 still not included in woody?
> > When will it be included?
>
> You will find the (detailed) answer at
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-0003/msg00973.html

Yes...  I first read that a month-and-a-half ago.  Although it said
that XF4.0 was far from being ready for woody, it seemed to me to imply
that progress was being made, and gave a plan for development that
would be useful for those brave enough to risk installing highly
experimental packages.  Since then, the .debs mentioned in "Phase 1"
have not shown up in http://www.debian.org/~branden/ as discussed.  The
most recent news on that page is dated 4 days after that announcement,
and says that there is a patch that will get XF4.0 working on Debian
for those willing to compile it themselves.  Since 16 March, I've seen
no sign of -any- work on that page, not even a progress (or lack of
progress) report.  Even though Branden&Co. are busy, I would have
expected something by now.

Not only has the X Force web site been silent, so has the debian-x
mailing list.  Since 12 March, the archives show no discussion of XF4.0
packaging.  This seems odd, since debian-x is supposed to be for those
involved in Debian X packaging.

To me, Branden's detailed answer was very satisfactory on 12 March.
Now, at 28 April, with no updates or signs of progress, it's less than
satisfactory.