Re: phasing out override files

My two ideas:
1. Perhaps the override file entry should simply be made optional, rather
than dpkg-scanpackages needing it. If a package is in the override file,
its priority/section are overriden. If it's not, then the value used in
the control file is considered authoritative. I realize that this means
a massive scan for control files when Packages is updated.
2. Perhaps a better implementation would be to auto-generate the overrides
file from a real set of overrides (i.e. information differing from what's
in the control file), and the packages' control files. This can then be
done at a lesser enough frequency to keep from absolutely destroying
master with scans for control file contents - the archive tools could
continue using the overrides file; the file would just be generated in
a different way now.

I feel that using packages' control info directly except when it's in
the override file would be the best thing, but somehow I doubt that
it's very plausible resource-wise ;). #2 means less work for the archive
maintainers because overrides aren't needed for *every* package, allows
us to retain a way of changing a package's section and priority, and lets
us manually specify info for those packages w/o it in the control file -
all with a bit more resource usage (think weekly scans here).

Just my $0.02 (ok, more like $20.00...)

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 09:10:15PM -0700, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> spake forth:

--
Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
PGP: 0xA9592D4D 62 A7 11 E2 23 AD 4F 57  27 05 1A 76 56 92 D5 F6

I am pleased to see that we have differences.  May we together become
greater than the sum of both of us.
- Surak of Vulcan, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.4