Re: phasing out override files

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 11:04:19AM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 09:10:15PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > * If the ftp maintainers need to override a value from a package, they
> >   simply change its entry in the override files to overridden and edit
> >   it as needed. (And file a bug on the package, if it was trusted
> >   before, so the maintainer can know why they have overridden it, and
> >   correct his package.)

Rather than file bugreports, I would have dinstall warn about this
in the install ack.  Such overrides are normally done during the
initial install of a new package.

The other common case will be mass resectionings, for example when
a new section is introduced.  Those should be discussed in a mailing
list and not reported separately for dozens of packages.

(The third case, minor adjustments, should be done by the package
maintainers rather than by the ftp admins, in this model).

Richard Braakman