Re: postgresql-6.5.3 (potato): Re: First Test Cycle starts today

Bryan Andersen wrote:

> "Juergen A. Erhard" wrote:
> >
> > I take it the whole problem is: How can postgres 6.5 get at the 6.3
> > bins?
> >
> As a DB administrator I'd be very leary of deleting old executables
> needed to access old revisions of a database untill I was sure I
> wouldn't have to use them again.  This could be as long as a year or
> more after I stopped using that version in production.  You never
> know when you may have to go back to a backed up version of your DB,
> even if it is only for refference, not data recovery.

If you can restore an old DB, you can restore old bins, no ?
I think the real problem is in postgres, not in apt/dpkg:
6.5 conflicts with 6.3 but can't replace it.
If there is an ugly solution with dpkg, it's probably the best that can
be done outside of postgres.
As a DB administrator, the solution I would prefer would be having
versions 6.5 and 7.0 as two independant and coexistent packages.
--
Bernard ISAMBERT (isambert@sib.fr)