Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 01:50:52PM +0200, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> A release is after three months outdated (not all, but many packages); the
> users accept then three others months of using this version, but after 6
> months they will (and sometimes they must) upgrade packages.

Note that by this reasoning potato is already outdated and rapidly heading
into completely unacceptable obsolesence (it's almost four months old).

I can certainly understand this point of view, but I don't think it's
one that we can address with `stable releases' --- since freezing alone
is enough to make most of the distribution barely acceptable, and a
release without a freeze doesn't seem likely to be as stable as Debian
really expects.

As such, I think it's important to consider the people who *do* get some
benefit out of stable releases, and, personally, I'm inclined to think
that a release roughly once a year is a much better way to serve them.

Don't get me wrong though, I do think leading edge fetishists are worth
catering to. But that's why `testing' exists, and why, hopefully, CDs
and boot-floppies will be made for it every now and then. See previous
messages for URLs to "testing" and discussion about how this sort of
thing might be made to work.

And I think I'm about done with the self promotion, so I'll bow out of
the thread now.

How about we freeze five or six months after releasing potato, use
"testing" to improve the freeze times and so forth as much as we can,
and see where we should go from there?

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark