Re: admin: Exim install on master

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 06:31:05PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > The correct way to invoke procmail is "|/usr/bin/procmail [options]"
> > Ignore the IFS=".." stuff in the procmail man page.
>
> If .forward is not needed, why is the command to invoke procmail important?

Probably just as an example how to use another MDA for your mail, or how to
pass specific cmdline options to procmail if you need them different than
what specified in /etc/exim.conf.

For example, if maildrop was installed on master, and someone wished to use
it, he could put "|/usr/bin/maildrop" in his ~/.forward file (and then edit
his pretty little ~/.mailfilter file, apt-get install maildrop for details,
or mail me :)

> > Also, 'Exim Filter' files are deliberately turned off.
>
> How come? They're cool -- much cooler than procmail.

But still dependent on a specific mailer, and seeing how painful moving away
from qmail was, it's better not to glue back on on another syntax specific
to Exim, that will be hard to move from, if we were to do that one day.