No luck with package renaming

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all your feedback on how to rename a package. Unfortunately I've
had no luck - and the packaging manual doesn't really help on this either.

I've got a Packages file that contains:

Package: sawfish
Version: 0.27.1-1
Depends: (lots of libraries)
Conflicts: sawmill
Provides: x-window-manager
Replaces: sawmill

Package: sawfish-gnome
Version: 0.27.1-1
Depends: (lots of libraries)
Conflicts: sawmill-gnome
Replaces: sawmill-gnome

Package: sawmill
Version: 0.27.1-1
Depends: sawfish

Package: sawmill-gnome
Version: 0.27.1-1
Depends: sawfish-gnome

"apt-get upgrade" tells me that sawmill and sawmill-gnome have been kept
back.

"apt-get dist-upgrade" also tells me sawmill and sawmill-gnome have been
kept back.

"apt-get install sawmill" give:
  sawmill: Depends: sawfish but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

"apt-get install sawfish" will quite happily remove the sawmill packages,
but thats not really good enough.

Without the Depends: lines for sawfish*:
"apt-get install sawmill" will install both sawmill and sawfish.
"apt-get dist-upgrade" will install both sawmill and sawfish.

I'm at a loss for what to try next. All I want is to provide a smooth
transition where people who currently have the `sawmill' package installed
will end up with the `sawfish' package installed. Is that so /hard/?

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700