Re: Perl mysteries.

On 15-May-00, 14:04 (CDT), Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
> > Gosh! Why do we do perl the screwed up way?
>
> I don't know what's the point of having two versions of perl included,
> anyway. Will anyone actually use the old version, when no modules are
> compiled against it and it might cause newer code depending on just perl5 to
> break?

We have two versions because everybody whined about being forced to
recompile their modules, plus there are lots of (non-debian-packaged)
modules built against 5.004 that we have no control over. Think
"transition period".

Any package that actually depends on 5.005 but whose "Depends:" says
perl5 is broken and needs to be fixed.

Steve