Re: Archive is moving to auric / Incoming disabled

** On May 16, Peter Makholm scribbled:
> grendel@vip.net.pl (Marek Habersack) writes:
>
> > > - support for capabilities (see
>
> > Patches for ext2 support for capabilities on the 2.3 kernels can be found in
> > the Linux kernel archive
> > (ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/kernel-2.3/)
>
> linux-privs implements Posix Capabilities (the now given up posix 6 (I
> think) which is only a very restricted model of capabilities (if even
> that).
That's correct. Also, the limit to 32 capabilities (with 28 existing now) is
simply ridiculous.

> I hasn't very much to do with the capabillity concept a number of
> research OSes (including eros) works with. I think that real effective
> capability support would require a major rewrite of large part of the
> kernel. (VFS, VM, the view of proceses in general)
I think the only problems right now are the size of the capability set, lack
of file system support (yes, in VFS) and lack of ability to dynamically
register/unregister capabilities. The capabilities are checked almost
everywhere in the kernel right now, so the infrastructure is there, but it's
faaaar from perfect.

marek