Re: Stallman Admits to Copyright Infringement

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Could you please quote the section of copyright law which allows
> this "try before you buy?" It's (IMHO) an internet fallacy. It's illegal
> whether you buy the CD or not. Same for pirated software.

Actually as far as I understand, at least here in Germany, copies of audio
media for personal purposes are perfectly legal. This does include
borrowing a tape/cd/whatever from a friend, then making a copy for
yourself. That's why there's a charge on blank tapes which goes to the
organization that represents the music industry.

IANAL, of course.

--
 "Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending."
						--- Bender