Re: Is there a backport for the framebuffer device?

"Julian" == Julian Stoev <stoev@freeshell.org> writes:

Julian> Sorry for the question, but are there any benefits on i386 to
Julian> use fbdev? Speed? I read this is important on other
Julian> architectures, but is there any reason I would like to use it
Julian> on i386?

The fbdev text modes can be set higher and stabler than what
svgatextmode can do, at least with matrox.  I have mine set to
1600x1200 (200x150 text, crucial for IRC), and use X only for
netscape.  :-)

Also some cards not supported by X can be made to work with fbdev,
albiet slowly.

		netgod

<dpkg> [Cyberlink] The mighty potato stuns all who even briefly gaze
       upon its tubular majesty.