Re: unstable/frozen: package conflict?

Petr Cech writes:
 > On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 09:03:03AM +0200 , Svante Signell wrote:
 > > Petr,
 > >
 > > Thank you for your prompt reply. The different naming, gnome-print and
 > > libgnomeprint6 caused the confusion.
 > >
 > > Is it possible to view the contents of the packages on the debian web
 > > site, in addition to search for specific patterns? What about adding
 >
 > ?? packages.debian.org has a search facility
Clarification: I would like to get a file listing of a specific
package, not something matching a specific pattern. A pattern search
gives a lot of uninteresting hits, resulting in:
Too many results. Not printing any more.

 > > creation time information to the web pages, e.g. to
 > > http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/admin/gnome-print.html.
 > > The only timing information I've found is in the Changelog file, if it
 > > exists! Is the lack of timing information on purpose?
 >
 > you usually can't tell when some package entered the archive. It's not in
 > Packages from which the web pages are generated. Changelog has it, if you
 > really need to know.
For some packages the debian Changelog is empty! What about
information on the date when the package maintainer created it? Date
information would be VERY useful.

 > > Maybe also the web page should list packages it conflicts with,! A
 > > reference to libgnomeprint6 would have solved my problem easily.
 >
 > It could, but the web packages are only to document current status of packages
 > not dependencies/obsoleteness. It's autogenerated and adding some
 > exceptions/clarifications for an obsolete package, which should be removed from
 > woody anyway, would be useless.
 >
 > 				Petr Cech
Finally, something that puzzles me: Why renaming an upstream package
such as gnome-print to the not-so-obvious-name libgnomeprint6. Are
there any debian policy reasons for this kind of package (re)naming? Other
packages have similar changes.

Svante Signell