Re: PostgreSQL upgrade from slink - proposed solution

Petr Cech wrote:
  >On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 07:26:53AM +0100 , Oliver Elphick wrote:
  >> Summary of the problem: postgresql needs to use the binaries of the previo
      >us
  >> release to make a dump of the database, if the old database version is bui
      >lt
  >> by an earlier release.  However, those binaries are no longer available
  >> by the time postgresql knows they are needed, because apt is likely to
  >> delete the old package before installing the new one.  6.5.3-18 and later
  >> handle this by saving the binaries in their prerm.  However slink does not
  >
  >-19 preinst could handle that. When preinst is run, the old binaries are sti
      >ll
  >there, sou you can save them to /usr/lib/postgresql/??/6.3 .

That is how it used to work.  The problem arises because apt is likely to
remove the old package  before installing the new.  As a result, the old
binaries are not around when preinst tries to copy them.

  >> have this feature, and it is too late to introduce it.  This is likely
  >> to lead to upgrade problems from slink to potato.
  >
  >yes, but upgrading a database is usually done by someone who understands it

Not when it is all being done by the package management system.   The idea
is for the upgrade to be automatic, because, left to itself, the package
upgrade destroys the tools needed for upgrading.

  >> Proposed solution: postgresql must depend on a package that contains only
  >> the old binaries.  These will have to be collected for each architecture
  >> and the package will contain uuencoded versions.  This package will
  >
  >eww

???

  >> be called postgresql-slink.  In view of library changes from slink to
  >> potato, I will probably have to build this on a potato system from 6.3.2
  >> source; alternatively, it will have dependencies on the slink library
  >> versions (is that feasible?).
  >
  >yes, but you still have problems. that there will be installed newer glibc a
      >nd
  >libpgsql2, no?

Yes, I think I will have to build a cut-down 6.3.2 with potato libraries.

  >> Comments please.
  >
  >save in preinst of postgresql, libpgsql2

That is the old way; apt makes it impracticable.

     "We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we
      are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not
      forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing
      about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that
      the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our
      body."        II Corinthians 4:8-10