Re: ITP seahorse

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 01:59:41PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > That said, I do refer to the images as "non-US" etc. on the webpage, but that
> > is just a "reasonable default". If anyone has better names, please tell me.
> > But they must be 1) correct and 2) usable. The problem is finding a set of
> > names that satisfy both. Obviously, "International and US domestic use (not
> > US-exportable)" fails with 2).
> >
> > I'm open to (thought-over) suggestions. I don't like "US" and "non-US" very
> > much myself. You may have noticed that I've been referring to "US" as
> > "non-nonUS" for clarity purposes. That's because there is no clear opposite of
> > "non-US" (maybe "Everywhere")...
>
> If it's not a stupid idea, can't we have symlinks to the same image
> with names "US Domestic" and "Non-US", with an explanation that they
> are the same for anyone who wants to read the explanation?

No stupid idea, only I suppose that the images won't be organized as
"parallel" directories, but rather as parallel rsync `modules' (if only due to
the "diskspace distribution" on cdimage.d.o). Also, symlinks don't show up as
such on HTTP mirrors, and I heard some (Windoze) FTP clients can't handle them
(crashing etc.). Add to that the far more complex documentation that people
don't read anyway, and you'll agree that symlinking isn't exactly the thing
I'm very excited about.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer