Re: 2.4.0!

knghtbrd@debian.org (Joseph Carter) writes:

> Same principle as the package pool applies:  It's easier to make a few
> packages stable for release with everything else that is already stable
> than it is to hack everything and then call a halt to development while
> people work to stabilize the work that's been done.

This can't be stated often enough!  I'm eagerly awaiting the
implmentation of package pools.

> How many developers
> are already running Woody, regardless of Potato's status?  I know I am.

Just an AOL on my part, although i''m more or less running potato and
a half with selected apps from woody.  From the perspective of someone
who uses his tools it's not the distribution in itself that needs to
be up to date but the applications one typically uses.  I wouldn't
mind still running slink if only some of the applications important
for my work would have been updated once in a while.

I hope package pools will provide a means to constantly upgrade a
stable potato with up to date packages without having to rely on an
unstable tree or compiling from sources oneself.

                                    Thanks, P. *8^)
--
   ------------ Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de> -------------