start-stop-daemon : strange behavior

[I have set the reply to --- I'm not subscribed at the moment to
debian-devel]

Hello,

I have a RTC connection, so I have partially updated my systems from
slink to potato.

Yesterday, I have installed the potato version of sendmail (in
replacement to exim), and I had strange things when changing the
runlevel.

After investigating, I found that, in the /etc/init.d/sendmail script,
the problem was this condition (in the stop() function) :

if $STOP_CMD --quiet ; then

where $STOP_CMD is :

STOP_CMD="start-stop-daemon \
    --pidfile $PIDFILE \
	--stop"

Actually, start-stop-daemon, in contradiction with what is said in the
man pages, when invoked when the processus is _not_ running, return with
0, whether you specify --oknodo or not. Thus, the condition is always
true, and the script loops for 120 secondes.

There are two other (old) bugs for start-stop-daemon (43998, 41554), but
this is not the same case.

Another strange thing. When start-stop-daemon starts the daemon and
writes to the pidfile, it adds the command itself :

# cat /var/run/sendmail.pid
672
/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q10m

Note : the dpkg version is 1.4.0.34, so it's the slink version. Before
sending a bug report, I would like to know if somebody has the same
thing, and if start-stop-daemon has been changed for potato.

Cu in Bordeaux, and later ;)
--
Thierry LARONDE <thierry.laronde@polynum.com>
10, rue du Bel Air, 74000 ANNECY / Tel.-Fax : 33.(0)4.50.67.46.61