Re: Testing CD images

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Richard Braakman wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 02:48:45PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > > That way you don't solve the mirroring problem.  We will still not have
> > > official CDs until a few days after the release -- possibly a lot longer,
> > > since the mirror network will be under heavy strain while everybody
> > > updates.  This was a problem with (at least) the slink release.
> >
> > That's an important point, and I'm glad you realize it. However, the way you
> > respond indicates (or at least seems to) that you still think that Debian is
> > all about FTP, and that we should release whenever FTP is ready. I think this
> > is no longer the case. IMHO, we should release whenever _CD images_ are ready.
> No, I want CD images to be ready when we decide to release.  That's the
> whole POINT.  I also want to release EXACTLY what we tested, not an
> image built after the testing phase finished.

You can't EXACTLY, since that would require that 1) the CDs volume label, 2)
the .disk/info and 3) the auto-generated top-level README.txt/html  ALL would
have "Official [...] CD" in them for all CDs of all test cycles. This would 1)
give problems identifying between test-cycles, 2) cause vendors to
(un)knowingly press/distribute test-cycle CDs, and 3) give users the incorrect
impression that they're dealing with released stuff.

SO, that's why we're calling them "test-cycle-X [...] CD" instead. And that's
the main reason we HAVE to rebuild the images.

However, rebuilding will not be a problem if you just take care that nothing
whatsoever changes in the archive between building the last test-cycle images
and the release images.

If you have a better idea of doing things, please tell. We're open to
suggestions. But I don't think we'll accept anything unless you clearly show
at least _some_ understanding of the CD image generation procedures.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer