Re: Helixcode and potato / woody

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 03:19:50PM -0700, Sudhakar Chandra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a pretty up-to-date system running potato.  I am interested in
> playing around with helix Gnome (http://www.helixcode.com/).  The Helix
> website talks about helix's own installer.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1. I am a developer.  Two of the packages I maintain contain apps that are
> compiled against gtk.  Till potato is actually released I'd like to stay
> with the gtk libraries that are in potato.  considering this, would
> installing helix gnome be OK?

Installing helix gnome will upgrade your GTK ver.  However, I believe
that 1.2.7 (potato) and 1.2.8(helix) are binary compatible, so it may
not matter.

> 2. I don't like the idea of running helix's installer.  Can I get around it
> in some way?

Yes.  Don't use it.

jules@pear [13] grep helix /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

> 4. Will Debianized versions of helix's apps be available?

see above.

They are debianised by helix.

However you talk about 'helix's apps' as if they'd written anything.
Helix gnome is an attempt to coordinate and package gnome; it has
no new apps. All apps in helix gnome are already in debian, I believe,
and it's certainly reasonably to expect they will be.

Take a look at

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-gtk-gnome-0005/msg00000.html

and subsequent messages.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable