Re: RfD: documentation for statically assigned uid and gid

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 11:48:56PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:44:03PM +0000, Marc Haber wrote:
> > mail:x:8:
> > mailbox spool directories belong to group mail, MUA software runs setgid
> > mail. This makes dot locking possible.
>
> ...because of g+w permission on /var/spool/mail directory.
>
> > Also, mailboxes must be writeable by group mail (Policy Manual, 3.1.1.1,
> > 5.6).
>
> Can someone tell me why is this required?
>
> FWIW my $MAIL is mode 600 and it works just fine. Other users' mailboxes
> on the system are 640 and they also all seem to work fine (at least nobody
> has complained).

I believe this all depends on the mail daemon
Sendmail for example is stupid and does require the group
QMail uses some method of delivering mail as the user so it doesn't
I'm not quite sure at the moment how exim or postfix deliver mail

The group should also be ther for legacy/compatibility reasons

use Std::Disclaimer;