Re: RfD: documentation for statically assigned uid and gid

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 12:24:03AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jun 02, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
>
>  >i don't really see the advantage of using gid bin in this manner but
>  >openbsd does it quite consistently.  long ago binaries were owned by
>  >bin, but that of course does nasty things to NFS root_squash...
> I think this could become important when capabilities and MAC will be
> used.

hmm can you elaborate?

>  >i have a user account with primary group src that i use for all local
>  >compilation, that way the source code is still protected from my
>  >normal uid and all users can still see source code.  i never compile
> You could put it in your home as well.

yes but then nobody else can see it (i don't like everyone to wonder
about my home directory) and its not protected against
damage/accidents etc.

for stuff installed in /usr/local i prefer to keep its source
available in /usr/local/src for consistency and convenience.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/