Re: mashed potatoes

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Arthur H. Edwards wrote:

> Does kernel-image-2.2.15-ide have SCSI support?

Er... no.   That's why it's an "ide" kernel; it only has support for
IDE.  The standard kernel package (and 2.2 rescue floppy, etc.) have SCSI
support.

> I tried to revert to 2.1 by using the binary cd. But during the install
> that also could not see the hard drives. Now, I was using the binary 2 CD,
> that is supposed to be used for laptops. Is is possible that binary 2 CD
> also does not have SCSI support?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "binary 2" that is for laptops.  You
should pull a copy of the standard rescue floppy and boot from it.  At the
boot: prompt, enter:
	rescue root=/dev/sda1
(substitute whatever your root partition is for sda1) and go from
there.  The rescue floppy doesn't have any Ethernet (except Intel
Etherexpress Pro 100) driver in the kernel - it expects the drivers to be
in /lib/modules/2.2.15 (and they will be), so you need to load the
apppropriate drivers so that you can install the normal kernel image.

I hope that helps,
tony

  tony@mancill.com         |   There is unrest in the forest
http://www.debian.org      |   There is trouble with the trees
                           |   For the Maples want more sunlight
                 (Peart ->)|   And the Oaks ignore their pleas