Re: Should we divide Debian to usable and unusable

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 01:05:39AM -0700, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

> > [the] percentage [of pre-1.0 version programs] should be much smaller
>
> > i like some programs more than others
>
> It's easy to mark a subset of Debian. Figure out which packages match
> your philosophy, and group them together in task-sami-haahtinen.  If
> others share your philosophy, they can install that task package.

Please remember, that this is not so much of my point of view, but i'm
trying to this this of the 'end users' point of view. (and how would
they know about task-sami-haahtinen =)

i'm sorry if i made some one angry with this, but we should still think
about the end users, which propably think that as debian is released as
stable, or potato is frozen (talk about the fact that they don't even
know why potato has been frozen... )

i've seen so many times when a end user comes to Linux and says:
'This crashes even more than my windows95' after trying to explain the
situation, the user has heard many words like developement, unstable,
woody, potato, slink and many others.. the user doesn't know what to
think.. exept.. 'BACK TO WINDOWS! NOW'

once again, one happy customer turned away.

yes i know this is going to make even more people angry, but this is
the case.

on my opinion we should consider somehow separating the totally unusable
stuff from the normal stuff, and those who need it, could just say that
i want that and that. it's much easier for someone to say what he wants
if he knows what he is talking about, than those who don't have a clue
about anything.