Re: Sound support on potato

"Stephen R. Gore" wrote:

> What?  Excuse me, but I have a comprehensive gnome environment here (ie, all
> task-gnome packages and their dependancies).  I do *not* have alsa.  The only
> esd package that gnome depends on is libesd, and libesd only depends on
> libaudiofile0, libc6 (>= 2.1.2), and esound-common.  None of which depend on
> esd *or* alsa.  Where did you get this concept?

I seem to have gotten the concept from dselect's extremely intelligible user
interface. Here is what dselect "conflict resolution" screen suggests:
EIOM Pri Section  Package      Description
 **_ Opt sound    esound-alsa  Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Support binarie..
 *** Opt libs     libesd0      Enlightened Sound Daemon - Shared libraries
  __ Opt sound    esound       Enlightened Sound Daemon - Support binaries
 **- Opt x11      gnome-bin    Miscellaneous binaries used by Gnome
 **- Opt x11      enlightenmen The Enlightenment Window Manager
 **- Opt x11      task-gnome-d GNOME basic desktop
 **- Opt libs     libgnorbagtk Gnome CORBA services (Gtk bindings)
 **- Opt libs     libgnorba27  Gnome CORBA services
 **- Opt libs     libzvt2      The Gnome zvt (zterm) widget
 **- Opt libs     libgnome32   The Gnome libraries
esound-alsa  installed ;  purge (was: install).  Optional
libesd0 suggests esound
esound-alsa provides esound
gnome-bin depends on esound
enlightenment recommends esound
task-gnome-desktop depends on esound

So, that was just a suggestion. My mistake :P But what if you want to use some other
sound driver without wrestling with these dependencies? I mean, I wouldn't want
to adjust them manually, and still be able to install other stuff without going
crazy with dselect and package dependencies.

I do think there's something fishy about esd, it was mentioned before that esd's
author didn't keep the package very up-to-date. Also, why aren't there any OSS module
packages? I think it would be convenient for some people.

Thanks,

--
 +  Eray "exa" Ozkural                   .      .   .  . . .