Re: UMASK 002 or 022?

* Decklin Foster (fosterd@hartwick.edu) [000606 22:20]:
> So it appears that the problem here is that ~/man is not writable by
> gid man (most likely it's 0644 and owned by you). I think what you
> want to do here is make it world-writeable and then set the sticky bit
> to protect your personal pages (is this right? I don't use man-db, so
> I don't have the docs handy...)

That's sort of it, man and mandb are set*uid*, not setgid.

I don't want to make *anything* in my home directory world writable.

> > Man is setuid user 'man'.
>
> Right, but this doesn't change the umask. /etc/profile is only read by
> bash (when it's a login shell), not by random setuid binaries. That's
> what I meant.

I know, but I think you missed the weird part:  man is set*uid*. :)

Anyway, zprofile and profile should be brought into line.  Either
umask 022 or 002.

Ciao!

--
"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made happy."
	-Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)

The Doctor What: Not that 'who' guy              http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC