On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 03:51:22PM +0200, Miros/law `Jubal' Baran wrote:
> > This resolution will do NOTHING to prevent users from downloading,
> > using, compiling from source (if available), modifying, etc. non-free
> > software.
>
> But it prevents e.g. _the packages' developers_ from use Debian BTS,
> doesn't it?

For bug reports against non-free packages?  Yes.

Likewise, if we see bug reports against the specifics of Corel packages in
our BTS, the bug needs to be closed or sent elsewhere.

> And the non-free BTS, does it exist?

Not yet, because there isn't a need.  Do you suggest it would be
impossible, or even difficult, to set one up if it were needed?
Do you think no one would be motivated to do so?

> And remember, not everyone gets Debian from network, some still want to
> use CDs for installation.

Hrm, good point.  All the non-free packages I currently have installed came
right off of my shiny set of Debian CD's.  Errrrr...

> > It is a largely technical proposal with some alterations to the
> > Social Contract to clear up some muddy language and terminate a
> > compromise that was made years ago for pragmatic reasons.
>
> Maybe I can't read; for me it was largely political or even religious
> proposal, with technical consequences. Is the Debian a religion or an
> operating system?

I guess that's up to each individual to decide.  I can't dictate the
contents of other people's minds.  I think John's rationale section was a
pretty politically or philsophically motivated work, but the GR itself was
pretty dry stuff.  Certainly not very much like, e.g., the preamble to the
GPL.

> > It's refreshing to read such calm, reasoned analysis.
>
> I know that my English knowledge is very poor, but I see it's even
> worse than I thought. What I write wasn't calm; it wasn't analysis, it
> couldn't be reasoned in any way. That was the sarcasm, what I tried to
> express.

And I responded in kind.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Somebody once asked me if I thought sex
Debian GNU/Linux               |    was dirty.  I said, "It is if you're