On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 09:27:54AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > This resolution will do NOTHING to prevent users from downloading, using,
> > compiling from source (if available), modifying, etc. non-free software.
> >
> > It is a largely technical proposal with some alterations to the Social
> > Contract to clear up some muddy language and terminate a compromise that
> > was made years ago for pragmatic reasons.
> >
> Huh?
>
> "We will support our users who develop and run non-free software on
>   Debian, but we will neither make the system depend upon nor distribute
>   an item of non-free software.  Debian may continue to distribute
>   non-free software previously distributed via its FTP site prior to the
>   woody distribution."
>
> I read that to mean that no new non-free packages will appear on
> Debian's FTP site.  For instance, newer versions of NS Communicator will
> not be available there as deb's.  Not to mention the JDK.

Correct.

> Either I'm mistaken, or your statement is highly disingenuous.  It
> *would* effectively prevent me from downloading non-free software in the
> way I would like: as debs, from the Debian site, using apt.

A false alternative.  What is wrong with downloading software, as debs,
from some site on the site, using apt?

> Speaking as a non-Debian-developer, I think maybe this is all simply
> premature, considering NS and JDK in particular.  There are probably
> others.  Couldn't we get the browser and JDK nailed down first?  (Pardon
> me if I am mistaken about the JDK; I'm going from the remarks of
> others).

There will always be non-free software.  Will there always be a non-free
section?  Will we always need one?  Do we really need one now?  Is it
possible for users to get their non-free software needs met through
non-official-Debian sources while still using the Debian operating system?

> If this is put into effect, I really would have to reconsider my choice
> of distributions.  *Very* regretfully.  :-(

Well, I would hope you would not make your decision until you had seen and
studied the real consequences, instead of the falling-sky scenarios that
some opponents of the GR are positing.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |    Exercise your freedom of religion.  Set