AJ,

I think you might be overestimating the effect removing non-free would have.

Even if we remove anything that depends on non-free software, someone else
could still house them in an aptable archive. So, to say that such removal
would make contrib "useless" is an exaggeration. I see this as a move of
non-free to whoever wants to do it.

And I see enough disagreement to suggest that someone -will- take over
the responsibility for it if as and when non-free in debian is history.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key
as Laney College CIS admin:  jim@laney.edu   http://www.laney.edu/~jim/